Monday, November 3, 2008

Halloweenie

Your favorite engineer-in-training celebrated her favorite holiday this past weekend! What a great way to wrap up the stressful month of October.

My company had a huge Halloween party, but I thought it inappropriate to dress up as my Main Costume: Sarah Palin. Instead, since I'm from Ohio, I already had all of the accessories to be a Cowgirl.

Much to my surprise, there were no other cowgirls or cowboys; it's such a popular costume in Ohio; what's the deal? Perhaps your small office party might be a tad awkward, but mingling with hundreds of costumed engineers you've never met certainly takes things to a new level. We had a fortune teller, a haunted "house" (read: haunted lean-to), caricature artists, and a raffle for not one, but FIVE MP3 players. I didn't get an MP3 player, but I got the next best thing - a $5 gift card to Peet's Coffee (Starbucks equivalent).

After work, it was Sarah Palin's time to shine. It's a lot of work to tease hair. I didn't quite get Palin's modest beehive, but it was effective. We started out the night at an Upscale Bowling Alley (300 San Jose), attempted to get into the Agenda Lounge (it was full), and then moved on to my favorite "dive" bar.

The picture with John McCain was a random fellow who approached me on the street. I also encountered many "constituents" who wanted to be photographed with me. Nobody asked for my autograph, however.

As a future note, it is both a bad and a good idea to dress up as a Republican in California. Bad because people were booing me everywhere I went, and good because I didn't have to pay for a single drink all night (except for at the bowling alley).






No comments: